Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Getting Closer... Plus A Limited EDH Rules Update

Things are looking up. This Saturday is the first try for Limited EDH. I have made a few last minute addendums to the rules set.

First, in case I haven't mentioned it, THERE IS NO BANNED LIST.

Second, OFF COLOR HYBRIDS ARE LEGAL (with the caveat that any other mana symbol on the card is legal as well. So, gosh, no off-color Guildmages from Ravnica. Shoot, I think I had a Selesnya, too!).

Third, generals are handled by what I call "Joint Chiefs" style - essentially you can use multiple generals to support up to, but not over, three colors. Meaning, you can't combine generals to get four colors or five colors. You could still play five color, but you'd have to be lucky enough to get a 5-color general AND have the mana base to support it. I think this is enough of a drawback. You pay +2 for your primary general and +3 for non-primary generals each additional time you cast them in a game, facilitating the need for a +2 counter and +3 counter for tracking purposes. The primary general will be the first one you cast during the game. You may only play one general at a time. You may play a general from outside the game only if ALL generals on your joint chiefs are removed from the game. The joint chiefs count as one card when putting the deck together. So 99 non-general cards plus your general or joint chiefs.

I put my deck together and we'll see how it goes. My general is Vorosh, the Hunter (GUB), and I was close to going with Zombies, but instead approached the build similarly to the build I did for the 5-Color tournament I won (see report on StarCityGames.Com). I concentrated on maximizing utility, card advantage, and a few other synergies. So far test draws seem to be alright. But the real test will be this Saturday when it faces off against the other decks.

Can't wait, so don't be late!
Rodolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment