Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh No! The Anticipation Again.

What anticipation? Well, it comes in multiples. First, Limited EDH will happen next Saturday. And, Alara Reborn packs should be arriving any minute now. Can't wait. Why? Because Wizards has scored with this set. Sure, it was a gamble. The challenges of designing an all gold set are pretty huge. Don't believe me? Go look up a MaRo article about it. He usually does a good job of explaining, even if it seems he has a huge ego. But, hey! Wouldn't you too if you were in his shoes? He's kinda earned it. But they really did a good job. I have to give mad props for the decision to push cascade to the lower rarities. It is a really fun mechanic and having it at lower rarities means that newer or more casual players who do not get a lot of cards will still have excellent access to it, which should help in acquisitions.

Playing at the pre-release was a real blast. I went 3-1 in a field of about 18 to top 8 and lost to my only swiss round loss in the quarters. It was OK because I wanted to get back to the lake for supper and to see how the wife and kids were faring with the in-laws. But what made it even more fun was that there were so many good playables in the set that each round I faced a vastly different deck. Each play, though I knew the spoiler pretty well, was a surprise. The challenges were fun. I'd have to say it was one of the most fun pre-releases I've experienced in years because of that diversity. Alara Reborn's excellent execution is what made it happen.

It's just over a week and a half until we meet and actually play some limited EDH. Finally! I sent the ULCs home with the crew so they could spend time constructing so we weren't wasting vital playing time when we get together. Tom made a big mention on Monday Night Magic. Sounds like he's excited. I would be too if I had Teneb, Platinum Angel and Darksteel Colossuss. But watch out! Rumor is that Neal has a Ravager and other tasty affinity enablers to play with. Not sure what Joel had, but he has the time on his hands right now to do some mad experimentation (good luck in the Job hunt!).

That's where we are at. I'll let ya know what gets busted from Alara Reborn. I am hoping for some Maelstrom Pulses as much for the fantastic art as for the awesomeness of what it does.

And finally, I really meant it when I whined a post or two ago about having my GURU lands. The kids I introduced the game to have gone out and purchased cards. Wizards - are you listening?!?!

Feliz cinco de Mayo!
Rodolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment